The History of Sutton Bonington Hall
Sutton Bonington Hall has always played an important part in Sutton Bonington’s village history and was enthusiastically reviewed by Nikoulaus Pevsner in his landmark book, the ‘Buildings of England’.
This friendly family, Queen Anne period country property was built in the early 1700s for the Parkyns family. In 1825, it was purchased by William Paget and has been in the same family ever since.
Over the years many important visitors have been welcomed into the Hall including Enoch Powell, Edward Heath and Alan Wicker. The most notable guest would be Queen Mary who both visited and stayed here as a family friend and Godmother.
The beautifully landscaped gardens, which make the ideal backdrop for truly memorable photographs, were designed by Lady Paget. They mark the divide between the two original villages of Sutton and Bonington.